August 27, 2012

Scrambled Egg Tacos

Scrambled Egg Tacos

I’m not sure if it was elementary school or middle school, but I remember searching for four leaf clovers at recess and anxiously standing in line to play “wall ball”, a game for the cool kids which involved hitting a bouncy ball against a wall repeatedly.  One of my fondest, most vivid grade school memories is of Taco Tuesdays.  I loved school tacos even though they were a dripping, bright orange mess of grease and ground mystery meat soaking into a hard tortilla shell which would inevitably split at the seam and send hot oil down your arms.

My love of tacos has matured significantly since then.  I still celebrate Taco Tuesdays by heading over to Pequena for some real-deal shredded chicken tacos and an ice cold grapefruit habanero margarita.  Lately I’ve been making these Scrambled Egg Tacos at home since eggs are such an easy protein to cook up.   I eat these for lunch or dinner, but they’re also great for a hangover brunch!  Have yourself a fresher, tastier version of Taco Tuesday...

Makes 2 tacos

2 corn tortillas
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons diced white onion
2 tablespoons (seeds and jelly removed) diced tomato
1/4 jalapeno pepper (seeds and ribs removed if no spiciness is desired), diced
2 whisked eggs
Coarse salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons diced or crumbled Cotija cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Cholula Original hot sauce (optional but highly encouraged)

Warm both sides of the tortillas in a pan over low heat, a couple of minutes on each side.


Meanwhile, in another saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add in onions and a pinch of salt and cook until onions are soft, about a minute or two.


Add tomato and jalapeno and cook, stirring, for another minute.

Add in the whisked eggs, folding them repeatedly until all ingredients are incorporated and eggs are fully set, about 2 more minutes.




Turn off the heat and sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Fill each warmed tortilla with an equal amount of cooked eggs, then top both tacos with the cheese, cilantro (or parsley) and Cholula Original hot sauce. 



Thoroughly enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I adore breakfast tacos. We make them for dinner all the time - perfect for a quick after work meal. I love all the colorful veggies and Cholula hot sauce! :) I'll have to check out Pequena. I usually go to La Superior in my neighborhood, but I'm willing to trek even to Downtown BK for good tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in the burg for 6 years but never checked out La Superior! It will go on our "restaurants to check out" list. Cafe De La Equina and Calexico Greenpoint are also some of our faves. I'm a taco junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. to me, this breakfast taco is just a vehicle for a heavy dosing of rooster sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh heck yeah vanillasugar! I'm a cholula addict and I use about a half a bottle on my tacos.

    ReplyDelete