April 18, 2012

Poached Egg on Yesterday’s Pizza

The markets in my neighborhood are so packed when I get home from work, that I quickly gave up on buying a piece of bread for my poached egg craving earlier this evening.  Bread, bread, how can I get my hands on some bread?  Ah ha!  The leftover pepperoni pizza in the refrigerator! The egg's delicate texture paired so well with my cheesy pizza square.  I suggest you fancy up your leftover pizza tonight with this recipe!




Makes 1 serving

1 egg
1 slice leftover pizza, cut off the crust and tip (snack on the scraps while you prep!)
Basil, sliced thinly
Salt
Pepper

Fill a pot with water high enough to cover an egg and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce the heat just enough so that the water becomes still.  Carefully crack an egg into a small bowl (making sure you don‘t break the yolk), stir the water in the pot in a circular motion until a whirlpool forms, then gently slip the raw egg into the middle of the whirlpool and leave it untouched.  Immediately set a timer:

3 minutes (for softer whites and fully runny yolk)
4 minutes (for cooked whites and runny yolk)
5 minutes (for cooked white and slightly cooked yolk)

When the timer goes off, remove your egg with a slotted spoon (make sure all water drains off, using a paper towel if necessary) and place on top of the pizza.  Sprinkle egg with salt, pepper and top with basil strips.  Enjoy!

IDEAS

Goes well with a side salad of any kind
Use plain, pepperoni or veggie pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment