September 11, 2012

Fresh Peach Salsa

Fresh Peach Salsa
I just returned from Los Angeles where I visited my sister and took in the sights, sounds and calories of the sunny, palm filled city.  Our very first stop was In and Out Burger, LA's famous fast food burger joint, where I housed a Double Meat Animal Style.  Dinner that night was Rigatoni with sausage, English peas and ricotta at Little Dom’s in Los Feliz...



The next day we trudged up to the Griffith Observatory followed by coffee at The Trails, a cafĂ© set in the woods at the foot of the hill. 

Griffith Observatory

Other highlights of the trip included eating local under an open roof at Eveleigh, perusing the crafts and weirdoes along Venice Beach, admiring the maze-like garden at the Getty Museum, and drinking wine to the sounds of Passion Pit and Hot Chip at the Hollywood Bowl, an outdoor amphitheater built into the hills below the Hollywood sign.  My celebrity sightings were Meredith Scott Lynn, Charlyne Yi and a supermodel.

Getty Museum Garden

Hollywood Bowl

New York cooled off while I was gone and I can’t believe I’m already thinking about my annual trip to the apple orchard but I couldn’t start on the fall recipes before sharing my favorite taste experience of the summer.  In July I attended a girlfriend’s wedding shower which was catered by a fabulous vegetarian chef who made my taste buds scream with a Peach Tomatillo Salsa and Guacamole Crostini.  The combination of the creamy grassy flavor of avocado and the honey sweetness of ripe peaches was a revelation for me.  Here is my version of a simple peach salsa which I paired with guacamole on oiled and toasted French bread.  I hope you savor the last of the warm weather with this fresh hors d'oeuvre.


Makes about 1 cup

1 large ripe peach, skinned pitted and diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

Fill a small bowl with water and add the diced onion, set aside for a few minutes.  This will mellow out the onion flavor since they will be eaten raw.


Drain the diced onion and add it to the diced peach, mix to combine.  Add salt and a few turns of black pepper, mix well and let salsa sit for a few minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips or with Guacamole on top of toasted bread. 


No comments:

Post a Comment