December 30, 2012

Diary of an Overeater
























The holidays turn me into a landfill where piles of pasta, meat and cookies are dumped, chewed up and left to disintegrate.  I hesitate to even talk about food right now but since I have a cooking blog, one which I've already neglected for a week, I feel I should at least report on what I've been eating and doing...and eating.



I haven't been cooking oddly enough, aside from helping my sister decorate her gingerbread cookies.  While other bloggers were busy making mountains of holiday confections and cocktails,  I was sitting at several dining tables enjoying the fruits of other people's labor.  It's been a long year and I needed a break from my blogging duties.  
























Above is my dad's pre-Christmas Eve rigatoni with speed-braised meat sauce.  I think all the animals are in there.  For Christmas eve, we had a feast of fish, focaccia, sweet roasted brussels sprouts and pasta with clam sauce.  We went to my Mom's place for Christmas Day where we enjoyed her meat sauce with tagliatelle, followed by ham, veal, canolis and more Dead Bones.

Back at dads, I chopped up all the vegetables for his cleansing, post holiday soup. 

























Then I went back to Brooklyn via the tracks above.  The eating had only just begun.  Alan and I, happy to be reunited, decided to celebrate at The Meatball Shop in Williamsburg.



Here is the pork meatball "smash" with spicy meat sauce and Provolone that I washed down with a nice Old Fashioned cocktail.  I think we may have made prosciutto and scallion pizza for dinner that night, but everything is a blur at this point.
























Dinner the next night was a simple arugula salad with Fuji apple slivers and a strange Manchego and cornichon sandwich.  When I start eating greens and pickles, I know my body is crying out for relief from heavy foods.  Oh, but I couldn't resist Alan's sister-in-law's peanut butter blossoms..


Oh, and donuts from Dough in Bed Sty.

We got a short break from eating while we watched The Heiress on Broadway (thanks to Alan's mom!)...

 Here's the pretty theater.

Today is my last day of pigging out.  We hosted a big family brunch at our apartment today.  On the menu was Alan's cheesy eggs and his mother's splendid French Toast with a side of bagels and cream cheese.  Dinner was a burger.  And now I must die. 

No recipes this time, but stay tuned.  I hope you all had a great holiday!  Have a fun new year and I'll see you back here really soon with fresh, cleansing recipes and resolutions to match!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so with you! I want your Dad's post holiday detox soup, please post that recipe there's so many of us all in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Proud Italian Cook! My dad sautes carrots, celery, onion and garlic in a large pot until soft, then adds some tomato paste and a bunch of greens (escarole, kale, cabbage, etc) and then adds chicken stock and simmers for about 20 minutes or until everything is soft and soupy. He makes pasta in a separate pot so everyone can add as much as they want to their individual bowls. For a lazy weeknight, I love making this one: http://www.brooklynsalt.blogspot.com/2012/01/escarole-and-cannelini-bean-soup.html

    ReplyDelete