March 4, 2013

Grandpa Irv’s Cheesy Eggs

Oops, I did it again.  I tried to cook, entertain, recipe-write and photograph all at the same time.  It just doesn’t work.  I planned a “simple” brunch of cheesy eggs, bacon, arugula salad and berry clafouti for my friend and her daughter.  In my head I pictured my brunch photographs turning out like a spread from Bon Appetit magazine, every plate and person styled and lit perfectly.  Instead, I got overexposed iPhone shots of a clutter of clunky Ikea bowls under-filled with messy eggs and lifeless bacon.  I also made my guests wait patiently while I frantically styled and snapped; a hosting no-no.  


After several hiccups, I eventually fed the hungry brunchers.  Thank goodness that the eggs turned out just like Alan makes them; this is his Grandpa Irv’s divine egg recipe.  Cheesy eggs, when made correctly, are as creamy and soft as if they were made entirely out of cheese.  The key is to keep the eggs moving over very low heat to form small curds and to get them off the heat as soon as they set.  I love finishing them with a bunch of freshly chopped chives.  A side of french toast doesn’t hurt either, because brunch is all about consuming an entire day’s worth of calories in one sitting, isn't it?

RECIPE

Serves 3-4 people

1 tablespoon butter
6 eggs, whisked furiously
4 slices American cheese (yellow or white)
Coarse salt
Fresh chives, chopped finely

1.  Set a large frying pan over low heat and immediately add the butter.  Once the butter melts, add the whisked eggs.  Break the cheese slices up in large pieces, laying them on top of the eggs in an even layer.

2.  With a spatula, scrape the bottom of the pan slowly and aerate the eggs by pulsing the spatula back and forth rapidly. Continue to move and fold the eggs slowly.  Cook until the cheese has melted and the eggs are just set, not too wet but not completely dry.  Take the eggs off the heat, sprinkle lightly with salt and chives, and serve immediately.

Gotta love chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment