November 12, 2013

Green Tomato Salad

This tomato salad is so good.  I’m currently on the hunt for some green tomatoes so I can make more of it.  I never knew that anything else could be done with green tomatoes besides frying them, but this is a crisp, refreshing way to use these underripe tomatoes in the fall, right after the warmth of summer has died off and the chill of winter is approaching, but it’s not quite cold enough for soups and stews. 

I left out the jalapeƱos that are in the original recipe from Quinciple.  I love me a jalapeƱo, but I simply forgot about adding it.  Turns out, I didn’t miss it, but if you want some heat, you can finely dice one and toss it in.  I chose to dice the tomatoes because I enjoy the texture of little bursting cubes of tart, green tomato.  Green tomatoes won’t be in season for much longer, so run to your farmers’ market and pick up a bunch up for the week.  Make this salad and then you can fry up the extras.


RECIPE (adapted from Quinciple’s recipe http://www.quinciple.com/archive/2013-10-28)

1 pound green tomatoes
1 large shallot, minced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 to 3 tablespoons olive oil (I like less oil for a zingier dressing)
Coarse salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

1.  Dice the tomatoes and place them in a bowl with the shallots and chives

 2.  Add your desired amount of vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss it all together.  Serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment