July 4, 2014

Basil Juleps

I write to you from upstate New York where Alan's super awesome band, Ten Minute Turns, is rehearsing for an upcoming recording session. Being secluded in a rural area is giving me time to make blog posts, read, write and learn about stock trading, my newest obsession. Last month's obsession was part-time veganism. A month before that, it was jewelry making. I like to dabble. No matter what you're getting into on the weekends, do it with a basil julep. Alan and I made juleps with herbs from our porch-garden. He made his with mint and I decided to go out on a limb and make one with basil. Here's how to do it (no fancy julep cups necessary, but highly encouraged)...

RECIPE
 

Makes 4 drinks

8 large basil leaves, plus 4 sprigs for garnish

2 oz simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water simmered until liquified, then cooled)
6 oz whiskey or bourbon

1. In a cocktail shaker, muddle together the basil leaves and simple syrup.

2. Pour in the whiskey or bourbon, and stir.

3. Fill four glasses with crushed ice and pour equal portions of the drink over the ice, straining out the basil.

4. Garnish with basil sprigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment