July 27, 2014

Pickled Grapes

I'm always looking for an unusual, yet simple recipe.  One food blogger that I follow writes a beautiful blog called Not Without Salt.  I like her pro-salt blog title as well as the feeling I get when I read her words and look at her photographs.  I picture her life being one big lush, misty Washington morning with a cup of coffee in a mason jar.  When she posted a recipe for pickled grapes, I flagged it and took the next opportunity to make them, which was a summer dinner party at home.

I think I was the only one who ate the grapes, but hey, that's what I get for making unusual things.  Pickled grapes are sweet and tart with a spicy warmth from cinnamon, coriander and cardamom.  They pair well with salty Parmesan cheese.  So, now, if you dare, here is the recipe for pickled grapes.


RECIPE (Recipe by Not Without Salt http://notwithoutsalt.com/pickled-grapes/)

Makes 1 12-oz jar

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon whole coriander
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Pinch of coarse salt
1 bunch of red grapes, picked off the stems

1.  Combine the apple cider vinegar, water, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a small sauce pan and bring it to boil. Turn off the heat and let the liquid cool for 10 minutes.

2.  Submerge the grapes in the hot liquid and let sit until cool.  Once cool, place the grapes in a mason jar or container and pour in the liquid to cover the grapes.

3.  Refrigerate the grapes and serve once chilled.  Keep in the fridge for up to a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment