January 5, 2015

Homemade Horchata

I finally attempted homemade Mexican horchata after weeks of guzzling my faux-horchata made with packaged rice milk. Mexican Horchata is a sweet, rice-based, cinnamon-y beverage. I love it over ice with tequila and a salty, limey Tajin rim. I whipped up this first batch for a New Year's Eve trip to a cabin in the Poconos with a bunch of friends. I'm happy to say that the whole jug was finished by the evening of January 1st. I enjoyed welcoming 2015 with a glass of cold horchata and tequila by the fire between rounds of karaoke, boardgames and feasts of pasta and tacos. Tall thin trees and a waterfall visible from the porch made an awesome backdrop.



I used a mini blender and an immersion blender for the recipe, but the rice never got smaller than coarse sand. However, I realized that's no biggie because after straining, the recipe still yielded this huge jug and it was nice and thick. I'd say horchata will keep well in the fridge for about 7 days.

RECIPE

Makes about 8 cups

4 cups white rice (preferably jasmine)
½ cup raw, blanched almonds (optional)
2 Mexican (or regular) cinnamon sticks
8 cups water
Sugar to taste

1. Combine all ingredients except the sugar and soak at least four hours.

2. Blend in batches in a blender, then pass through a sieve or cheesecloth.

3. Add sugar to taste.

4. Chill and serve alone or with tequila.

No comments:

Post a Comment