March 14, 2015

Tamagoyaki

I’m baaaaack. I really dropped the ball on this whole blog thing didn’t I? I’ve been eating boatloads of delivery pizza and salads from Chop’t lately and haven’t been cooking enough. I did make another round of salmon fritters but I certainly couldn’t post those again. But a recipe for Tamagoyaki has been staring me in the face for weeks and on a rainy Saturday I decided I was finally going to make it happen. Tamagoyaki is a Japanese egg log that is slightly sweet and totally fun to make and eat.
 
I suggest you watch this video to get an idea of how to roll the log. The special, square Japanese frying pan typically used to make Tamagoyaki is not at all required. I made my log in a regular old, large, non-stick pan. Go make this egg log treat right now. No excuses.

Am I going to like this?

Damn, that's good!


RECIPE (yanked from JapaneseCooking101.com http://www.japanesecooking101.com/tamagoyaki-recipe/)

Serves 4

4 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (or 1/4 teaspoon sugar)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1. Whisk the eggs, salt, soy sauce and Mirin together in a bowl.

2. Heat an 8 or 9 inch non-stick pan over medium high heat and add the oil.

3. Pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the pan, tilting the pan to cover the bottom of the pan with egg. 

4. After the thin egg has set but is still glistening on top, gently roll it into a log from right to left. If you let the egg cook too much, it will not stick as you roll the log.

5. With the log at one end of the pan, pour a little more egg mixture to cover the bottom of the pan again and touching the base of the log. After the new layer has set, roll the log back from left to right over the new layer of egg.

6. Repeat this process, rolling the log back and forth until all the egg mixture is used up.

7. Remove the completed log from the pan and let it cool for a couple of minutes.

8. Slice the ends of the log off and then slice the log into 1" pieces. You’ll see a cool spiral pattern in the slices!


No comments:

Post a Comment