April 15, 2015

Turkey Bacon, Spinach and Smoked Cheese Egg Muffins





When I don’t have time to make breakfast at home, I end up eating a croissant and hot chocolate in front of my computer at work and feeling like I failed myself. I came across an article in Bon Appetit about the genius of egg muffins and thought they’d be a great way for me to get my morning protein all week long even when I hit the snooze button too many times.


I figured I’d try turkey bacon as an add-in, which I was skeptical about, but it’s actually really good. Then I threw in some spinach and smoked cheese. You can make these muffins with anything you like. Try some very thinly sliced asparagus, finely chopped kale, different cheeses, or different cooked meats like ham, sausage crumbles or bacon. Make them on a Sunday night and gently reheat them on your weekday mornings, Monday through Friday. You’ll be quite happy with yourself, eating your whole balanced breakfast with one hand.


RECIPE

Makes 5 muffins

3 slices turkey bacon
5 eggs
1 cup loosely packed spinach, chopped
2 tablespoons shredded smoked gouda or smoked mozzarella
Coarse salt
Freshly cracked pepper
Butter or oil, for greasing the muffin tin (although I recommend a silicone muffin pan)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place the turkey bacon in a medium sized frying pan over medium high heat and cook on both sides until deep brown.

3. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and stir in the spinach, cheese, salt and pepper. Set it aside.

4. Once the bacon is done, chop it into small pieces and add it into the egg mixture, stirring well.

5. Spoon the egg mixture into a well greased muffin tin, filling the cups to just under the rim. You’ll get about 5 muffins, maybe more.

6. Bake until the eggs are set, about 12-15 minutes (you can shake the muffin tin along the way to check if the eggs are still loose). Eat right away or refrigerate and gently reheat throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment