November 5, 2014

Bacon and Eggs with Kale


Here's a way to make kale unhealthy. By cooking everything in bacon grease, we can infuse rich salty goodness into our eggs and kale, making them a little less boring for the weekend. Trust me, I don't eat like this every day. For the past two weeks, I've been saying NO to wheat, dairy and sugar on weekdays and have shed a few pounds just in time for the Thanksgiving binge. Aside from that, I just feel energized and healthy. You'll be seeing some of my wheat-free, dairy-free, sugar-free recipes as soon as I stop being so busy ("busy" meaning that I spent all last weekend reading Gone Girl in time to see it in the theater this weekend).

RECIPE

Serves 1

1 egg
2-3 strips uncooked bacon
1 cup chopped kale
Coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Place the bacon in a large saute pan over low heat and cook, rendering out all the bacon fat, until totally crispy. If the fatty ends curl up and are not cooking as fast, I tilt the pan so that the ends are submerged in bacon fat and I let them cook like this for a minute or two. This will get them up to speed. Once the bacon is crispy from end to end, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate.

2. Pour half of the bacon grease off into a mason jar or an old can (you can keep the fat in the fridge for later use, or let it cool completely and discard it in the trash, as pouring bacon grease down your sink can cause lots of problems).

3. Raise the heat to medium and crack the egg onto one side of the pan. Add the kale to the other side of the pan. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper and shake some red pepper flakes onto your kale.

4. When the egg is cooked on one side, flip it to the other side and cook to your liking. I like my whites fully cooked and my yolks runny. Sometimes I carefully pierce and peek at the whites right near the yolk to check for doneness. Toss your kale around to cook it evenly.

5. Once your egg is done, transfer it to a plate and add the bacon and the kale alongside it. Enjoy with a piece of toasted bread and some coff-ay!

No comments:

Post a Comment